SpyWare BeWare! ASAP
May 28, 2017, 05:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  

Google It!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: xandros  (Read 6624 times)
bigc73542
ASAP Members

Date Registered:November 08, 2004, 09:00:15 AM

« on: November 26, 2004, 05:35:54 PM »

Has anyone here tried xandros linux and if so what  what are your thoughts on it.

bigc

the only really secure computer is unplugged

bigc

since 2004
bigc73542
ASAP Members

Date Registered:November 08, 2004, 09:00:15 AM

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 09:34:13 PM »

Looks as if I might be the only one here to have tried Xandros. It is not a bad  distro. I had a bit of fun with it.

bigc

the only really secure computer is unplugged

bigc

since 2004
Avohir

Date Registered:October 31, 2004, 01:35:10 PM

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 12:29:40 AM »

I installed it, and it seems pretty nice... although I havent played with any of the other flavors so take that for what its worth

To err is human, to Really foul up requires a computer
raw
ASAP Members

Date Registered:July 21, 2004, 08:06:22 PM

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 01:05:50 PM »

Very simple to install and use....not enough to replace my existing MDK, but
I do like it for an extra desktop system.

d'krYpt0r
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 10:49:24 PM »

hi,

i've used xandros 2 and now 3. it's decent , easy to install and use, has many useful free progs bundled  with it. i don't think there is an easier linux distro to install, maybe linspire5, but all the others are too tricksy for me. xandros networks makes for easy installations of .debs or .rpms. updates are a bit on the slow side, but all in all xandros is an excellent system.  
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 04:01:42 AM »

I can't compare much with other distros since I only tried some distros.

For one thing, its interface is closer to windows explorer. But seemingly for this purpose, the OS needs to refresh the directory from time to time and this creating an annoying grinding sound of the hard disk, approx. once every 3 seconds.

A program called Xandros Networks is designed to make the upgrade easy by GUI. However, this creates problems if you want to install what is not "allowed" by Xandros.

I installed its 2.5 Business version. At that time, I could install the free Firestarter firewall. Then Xandros removed it and replaced it with the one you have to buy. This annoys me since the purpose of using Linux is its being free.

Then I installed the Open Circulation 3.0 version. Within a month there was an upgrade of over 200MB. Still you can't install freee Firewall. Not even Guard Dog.

Compared with Ubuntu, Xandros is good in mounting hard disks automatically. In Ubuntu, you need to "crack" just to mount a FAT partition on the same hard disk with the Linux partition. To mount secondary hard drive on Ubuntu, I can't find any trouble shoot for it. But in Xandros, no problem. I use 2 mobile racks, so it is good Xandros can mount both.

Knoppix can also mount both, however, sometimes, it is not stable. The mount can suddenly disappear or it refuses to accept "move" even after you remove the "read only".

Stones
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »

I installed Xandros 3.0 that i got from a magazine and it just crashes all the time and then when i reboot the machine and log on it logs off even before the desktop gets chance to load up. I tried reinstalling it but i dosen't make a difference.
wombatz
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 10:38:45 PM »

have been using xandros for some time now at work and have just move to xandros at home. even my son likes it. easy to install. things just seem to work and well.
Was using FC2 then 3 but i do not think i could go back. Windows well goodbye to that os for me.
Drew
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 07:36:26 AM »

Not sure if I'd agree with Unregistered of Jun 25 2005, 01:01 AM in regards to the free Firestarter
firewall.  I have installed several distros and had a play with each of them.  Linspire5 was TOO dumbed-down to the point where I felt flexibility was being taken away from me.  The clincher was that you had to pay for any packages you want to install - or learn how to hack with apt-get, a trick various websites reported as someone steep a task.
I was using Mepis until I stumbled upon Xandros.  I downloaded it on a whim and have never looked back.    I havent even looked at my WinXP laptop for over a week!!

I set my Xandros pc up with an internet connection, then used apt-get to install Firestarter.  Firestarter is now my firewall/internet connection sharing prog, and is working beautifully.
I set up a smb share with my laptop drive, so I now utilize the laptop harddisk as storage space only.
I'm currently trying to figure out how to get VMWare up and running in Xandros, so I can install my .Net development VM.  Then I'll reformat my laptop to join the Xandros domain - with a Windows virtual machine.  I'll never leave Windows, as I'm a .Net developer and Microsoft Trainer, but damnit - Linux is just TOO much fun.

My game plan - keep tinkering with Xandros learning a little more each day.  Is it frustrating? Yes!  Extremely so.  But that just makes even more the sweeter when I get something to work the way I want it to.  I try to recall my earlier years with Dos, Win3.1.Win3.11 and the migrate to Win95, 98, 2000, XP, 2003.  At some time, we've all had to take it slow.

And a HUGE shout out to www.tuxmagazine.com.  They have a free online linux magazine targetted for newbs.  Four issues of this and I'm already progressing towards meatier literature.

Have fun with Tux everyone. This just gets better and better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: