SpyWare BeWare! ASAP
April 23, 2017, 10:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  

Google It!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Webhelper Alert: Messenger Plus is Lop.com  (Read 87503 times)
kill lop
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2005, 05:32:31 PM »

the blue thing on the bottom of your screen can be closed if u have the google toolbar double right click on the bar press the backward links then press ctrl alt delete and close the link that says lop.com it will close as for getting rid of it if u have norton just tell it to block the link that google gives u when u press backward link

its not hard ppl!

peace out
WJ
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2005, 11:23:27 PM »

Ok, I'll make this quick and too the point.

The Corp that Cyril is a member of is for legal reason related his residence in Canada and the partnership with an american corp.

Now, If you CHOOSE to install with the sponsor (which Patchou has worked hard to make sure you notice and is ALOT less deceptive then MANY other programs out there) it's quickly uninstalled leaving no trace of the sponsor. I've tested this with every build since 3.0. It still works in 3.6.

Please take a moment and check out the offical forums @ http://www.msghelp.net/ and see just how many members have no problems. If you decline it, you wont have a problem. If you install it and use a anti-spyware program to attempt to remove it, You might as well try installing windows with a linux disc, It just doesnt work that way. When I want to remove Microsoft Word from my computer you dont see me using the uninstaller for internet explorer. You use the right tool for the job and unfortunatly the world has pointed at the use of Anti-spyware as the multitool, Well your doing more damage then good.

Being an IT professional, I've spent days removing spyware from user PCs and when I've had users accidently install with the sponsor, I run the uninstaller first, I do that with any spyware infection, not just Messenger Plus. Not all adware/spyware vendors incorporate horible tactics to keep the software on your PC.

Messenger Plus has over 7 million users, And I'm sorry that such a small bunch of users trying to spread rumors and misinformation related to the problems of there own creation.

I chalange any of you to go download mesesnger plus. Try installing it without the sponsor. Try installing it with the sponsor and give it a try uninstalling just the sponsor. It will work. As long as you dont run an anti-spyware program and damage the setup, You'll be fine. If you have any problems, Come post on our forums and you will be helped. Theres no need to insult Cyril(Patchou) behind his back like this.
TeMerc
ASAP VIP

Date Registered:May 31, 2004, 02:42:28 AM

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2005, 01:08:28 AM »

I will agree with what WJ has said. And I did just this, the other nite, test the install with and without sponsor, and uninstall with and without sponsor. I have screebshots of just about every alert I got while installing the adware bundle.

Both uninstalls are extremly clean, even had my homepage reset back to its original site, after uninstalling via Add\Remove, and following all prompts.

I just think Patchou got greedy. This type of bundled install is ludicrous, in my opinion. There is only one thing gained by this, and that would be to line his pockets. It is typical of many apps that come with bundled adwares, most of which are frowned upon. The big difference  here is that this app, MessPlus!3, actually has some use, as opposed to most of the other apps.

I'll be posting my findings this weekend, once I clean up some text and so forth. And I'll have my own comments of course.

Name Game

Date Registered:April 16, 2004, 08:49:09 PM

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2005, 06:33:20 AM »

And my comment is still as it has always been....even if you used other methods to get rid of that adware stuff in the MsgPlus..stop doing that..The  only way to uninstall it all cleanly even if you had begun to whack at it with AV and Antispyware products alreadly there is still hope for you.. if you read the  instructions..and even reinstall the MsgPlus with the crapware if necessary..you will find all that  at this link.  Wink

How to remove Messenger Plus, with screen shots.

http://chooseknowledge.com/How-to-uninstal...senger-Plus.htm
Name Game

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2005, 06:54:39 AM »

@WJ

I too agree with most of what you have said except this statement and the implications on what really happened to a PC if Msgplus..any versions ..but escpecially some of  the first versions.. that were installed for a long period of time with the "sponsor" thingie as you call it.

QOUTE:
Now, If you CHOOSE to install with the sponsor (which Patchou has worked hard to make sure you notice and is ALOT less deceptive then MANY other programs out there)[span style=\'color:red\'] it's quickly uninstalled leaving no trace of the sponsor. [/span]I've tested this with every build since 3.0. It still works in 3.6.

For you see..even though the hooks and the  "mechanism" will be cleanly uninstalled..by that time it has run and allowed that sponsor to install other crap..of which Cyril  no longer had control..and you will find this third party also has affilate and obligations to their OWN money making network and that is where the real problems came about besides LOP.
Guest_Oscar
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2005, 12:18:41 PM »

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']finaly we come to a point were we can discuss this as mature people, without flaming anyone or without jumping to conclussions etc...[/span]
----

Name Game,

If you have any evidence (screenshots, filenames, etc) of these "4th party tools" which are installed because of the lop sponsor of messenger Plus!, don't hesitate to report those to the MsgPlus! forums and/or even directly to Patchou himself.

If such tools are automatically installed by the sponsor (thus not because the user pressed something or what not), then Patchou surely wants to hear about this. This happened at some point in the past also, and actions were taken accordingly to fix this.

cheers Wink

----
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']@some others in this thread: not all lop sponsor packages are the same and certainly don't have all the same effects on your computer. The sponsor package in MsgPlus! is a very special extremely light and stripped down version of the lightest lop package that exist.

Also, it is not MSN Plus! as that is something from Microsoft, see here. It's MSG Plus! At least get the name strait before making a post in which you state so called facts.[/span]
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2005, 03:59:32 PM »

You people should learn to get your facts right before you post.

1) It will only install if you tell it to. If it installed even when you choose 'I REFUSE to support messenger plus!', then you either clicked the wrong button completly or installed it before and expected it to remove itself when you install a second time.

2) Yes, its known not to remove even when using the uninstaller. Why? because there's usually a constantly hanging iexplore.exe process created by it. Solution? run the uninstaller in safe mode.

3) you MUST NOT use antispyware tools to remove it. Why? as you've seen, they do not remove it, but guess what, they delete the uninstaller. Thats why you have to RE INSTALL the sponsor to get the uninstaller back, then you can remove it properly.

4) If you choose not to install it, messenger plus installs fine. If you think it doesn't install or something, i'll gladly get camtastia or something else and record an AVI of me successfully installing it.

If you still have any questions, just ask.
Name Game

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2005, 04:10:28 PM »

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']finaly we come to a point were we can discuss this as mature people, without flaming anyone or without jumping to conclussions etc...[/span]
----

Name Game,

If you have any evidence (screenshots, filenames, etc) of these "4th party tools" which are installed because of the lop sponsor of messenger Plus!, don't hesitate to report those to the MsgPlus! forums and/or even directly to Patchou himself.

If such tools are automatically installed by the sponsor (thus not because the user pressed something or what not), then Patchou surely wants to hear about this. This happened at some point in the past also, and actions were taken accordingly to fix this.

cheers Wink

----
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']@some others in this thread: not all lop sponsor packages are the same and certainly don't have all the same effects on your computer. The sponsor package in MsgPlus! is a very special extremely light and stripped down version of the lightest lop package that exist.

Also, it is not MSN Plus! as that is something from Microsoft, see here. It's MSG Plus! At least get the name strait before making a post in which you state so called facts.[/span]

I don't have time to dig up all the old threads at the Gladiator Security Forum from back in sept-nov 2004 time frame of hijackthis logs and infected PC's.

If you think today the LOP package is now finally clean and good to go on MsgPlus for easy removal..I see no evidence that it is not.

Cyril created this mess in the first place with Computer Users running to Security Forum having no idea what the heck had jumped on their PC back in that time frame and none of them associated it with their installation of MsgPlus..I call that very poor PR work..there are hundreds of free proggies released each day..free..shareware..paid, that never have hit the Security Radar. His did..and did it big time.

The fact that many of you now are still running around doing damage control   :shoot: for that great program is a testament to that fact...and it  certainly did not help when every single AV or Antispyware Application out there already had LOP in their gun sight..because those poor user ended up with even a bigger mess on their hands..with PC's that became spam billboards and no way to stop it for the average PC user who broke the Msgplus sponsor app..they did not know..in fact they had those seciruty programs installed in most cases..even before they installed this MsgPlus.

So here you are today.. :D  now asking for help from the Security Community and their Forums  with the special sponsor installer package on MsgPlus. What you should have done way back when..is help that Community before the damage was done...instead of  wasting all our time researching the junk.

That is what I call a Mature way of handling things..and if you all had..we would have been glad to help you and Cyril..that you can take to the bank.

cheers Oscar  Wink
Maddoktor2
Administrator

Date Registered:May 09, 2001, 02:05:56 PM

this space for rent

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2005, 04:13:07 PM »

I'm not sure if some of you folks missed the topic or not, but proper uninstallation instructions for MPlus are posted here.

As you can see, we do indeed advocate using the documented proper uninstallation procedures for the sponsor program, and warn against using other methods. Smiley

*DoK's Law*:
The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.
Never eliminate finite possibilities - the odds only get worse.

Fate brings me to the battle.
Destiny demands my actions.
History determines the results.
Name Game

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2005, 04:36:16 PM »

I'm not sure if some of you folks missed the topic or not, but proper uninstallation instructions for MPlus are posted here.

As you can see, we do indeed advocate using the documented proper uninstallation procedures for the sponsor program, and warn against using other methods. Smiley

Yup.. but the reason you see so many posts in this thread now..carrying it to the next level is spurned by this...

Petition to save Messenger Plus!

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=49078&page=1

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=...16926#pid516926

MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=48814&page=1

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=...20919#pid520919
Me
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »

Im not sure if anyone has noticed or not but patchou's signiture found on only a few links on his web page but were he puts patchou the o is a face that face is used on most password cracking softwear ..think about that guys

[span style=\'color:red\']Post edited by Paperghost.[/span]

LOL, what are you on about?? That's the ALIENWARE logo :-D, you n00b!

http://www.alienware.com/
Name Game

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2005, 04:52:38 PM »

Cyril went to Redmond..nice trip..nice meeting

Messenger Plus! is going to Redmond
http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=47429&page=1

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=...96212#pid496212

Msgplus couldn't install Hook

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=47806&page=1

But i guess not that productive..

I don' know exactly what is happening now out there..but I am finding many users lately with MSN Messenger problems in the last few weeks..and most of those have msgplus also installed..
paperghost
ASAP VIP

Date Registered:July 04, 2004, 12:59:04 PM

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2005, 05:38:15 AM »

Interesting...

http://msgplus.net/petition.php

Microsoft MVP 2005 - Security / FaceTime.com /    Spywareguide Blocklist / Paperghost.com
And the villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Name Game

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2005, 08:17:12 AM »

Yes it is..my guess is that even after Cyril went to visit Redmond for the grand tour..they are not interested in buying the MsgPlus..but also tired of it hooking into their product..that would make sense to me..coupled with the fact that MsgPlus hit the streets with some nasty LOP stuff from the get go..so Indirectly Microsoft with it's product of MSN Messenger is asscociated with LOP..fact being..if you do not have the Microsoft product..so certainly do not need any MsgPlus.

:shoot:  
TeMerc
ASAP VIP

Date Registered:May 31, 2004, 02:42:28 AM

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2005, 02:11:26 AM »

Here is my write up on what happened when I went thru the install\uninstall with\without sponsor...err....adware:

http://temerc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3576#3576

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: