SpyWare BeWare! ASAP
May 29, 2017, 02:39:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  

Google It!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Status - Protected? Should I believe it?  (Read 2165 times)
Lapicide

Date Registered:May 15, 2005, 05:17:37 PM

« on: August 07, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »

On my Acer laptap with Vista I have two anti virus programmes.
AVG Free - it says: You are protected.
MSE - it says: Computer Status - Protected

It might seem strange in a Windows environment that I did not have a gremlin on
this laptop in the last two years or so that I had it. Perhaps it was because of my very
conservative browsing although I used to attribute it to av programmes

A few days before I had an alert about AVG Free which I disregarded but I had the same
Windows Explorer alert two  days ago. I opened the AVG Free and found all the components
had disappeared from the its interface window. I could not believe my eyes.

I scanned the whlole computer with Microsoft Security Essentials which came up with
five malwares - four Exploits:Java/CVE and Backdoor: Win32/Hupigon.wz
Now at no stage the computer was shown to have these infections either by AVG Free or
MSE although MSE at least found and removed them.

I am wondering now whether I should believe it when an av programme tells me that my
computer was clean.

Cheers

Stories once read never forgotten
http://www.unforgettable-stories.blogspot.com
mitch
Administrator

Date Registered:March 29, 2004, 11:40:15 PM

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »

just a few thoughts

never have two a/v's running at the same time they have been known to get confused .
on avg you made sure you were current on files and did a full scan?

start googeling what you have and see what it is and where it is at and see if you have it

and there is such a thing as false positive

anti virus can only find a virus if they have had a sample of it to analyze, so there can be a time delay, and what country you live in affects it too.
i got totally tired of the a/v game and switched to linux a few years ago (2005) and am never going back
tired of $$ for a/v, updates that have bugs, buying software and fighting to try and get it on another computer ( but be legal and only one system at a time)
i just made another computer for less than $212 using a quad core and 4 gig memory and such and have a total investment in the system with complete software ( office,firefox/t-bird/gimp,and on and on) for....... $212
and if you know windows you know the new style linux, no playing with command line most of the time, just use it and it works
30 seconds from on switch i am surfing, and 10 sec shutdown, no looking at welcome screens, and then a desktop with a hourglass

you can try it on a "live cd" and nothing is written on your system, just uses memory and cd. to see how it works
some of the good ones
are ubuntu ( gnome version) mint 11 and no fighting the latest flash and media player ;-D or java
when i do a update it is for programs and linux both

" i'm not an expert, but"
Second best Spam Killer  at SBW
Proudest ASAP member

no post of mine maybe copied or reproduced without my written consent !
ThomasAnderson

Date Registered:March 19, 2012, 01:40:44 AM

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:10 AM »

It depends on the anti-virus program, or which anti-virus are you using. Not every anti-virus is able to remove all infection form the computer.
So at the time of installation of anti-virus you must keep in mind for the best one.
I prefer McaFee internet security, as i am using it from couple of years & still have the PC clean from the virus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: