SpyWare BeWare! ASAP
May 29, 2017, 06:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  

Google It!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PGP 6.5.8-06 ckt for Windows  (Read 10278 times)
HJThis
ASAP VIP

Date Registered:July 13, 2004, 01:54:29 PM

« on: July 19, 2005, 02:52:44 PM »

Hello,To all

Well do to things that have happen in the family looks
like i have to start to use PGP but i need some help with
this my Pops sorry my dad was about to show me how to

use PGP but i no longer have him with me so i am asking
for help from someone here if you have the time please
now my dad started me off with this here PGP 6.5.8-06 ckt
but after i had to do a Format i find out i did not make a backup

so i went & got this here PGPFW658 Win32zip
is this the same as PGP 6.5.8-06 ckt

i also got this here PGP 6.5.8 -ckt 08  is this the same thing
if anyone could give me a copy of PGP 6.5.8-06 ckt
or a link to it that would be great this way i can start where
dad notes for me end

I thank you all

Gogo

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Die Hijacker  Die[/span]

[span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%']Steps to take before you post a HJT logfile.[/span]
HJThis
ASAP VIP

Date Registered:July 13, 2004, 01:54:29 PM

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »

Hello,To all

Hmm anyone at all please just give me the heads-up
on what to install here

Thank you

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Die Hijacker  Die[/span]

[span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%']Steps to take before you post a HJT logfile.[/span]
herbalist
ASAP Members

Date Registered:March 23, 2005, 12:43:26 AM

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:23:48 PM »

I can't say how much is different between ckt 06 and ckt 08. I believe that 6.5.8ckt 08 was the last of the full ckt releases and is an excellent version.
You can find almost any version of PGP you want at:
ftp://ftp.hacktic.nl/pub/crypto/pgp/
Rick
surprise!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:42:21 AM »

Is this better than PGP 7.0?

If I understand PGP 6.5.8 was accedentally released and Imad's PGP page built these releases so that it can run on XP.

PGP 7.0 was also accedentally released. (full version just like PGP 6.5.Cool. PGP tried to get it back by making is not load onto xp computers but if you download the extra files to make the freeware version load on xp you can load the full version on xp in the same way.

I no longer have the site. I do believe I found it on a Japanise site.
herbalist
ASAP Members

Date Registered:March 23, 2005, 12:43:26 AM

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 08:14:05 PM »

I believe Imad's page has been down for some time, as are most of the others associated with the CKT versions. I can't say regarding the regular release of 6.5.8, but the ckt versions were not released accidentally. They're not "official releases" as such. They came from the Cyber Knights Templar. The CKT versions do have components that were not part of the official releases, one of which is PGP disk for file encryption. It also has the ability to make self decrypting archives, useful for sending encrypted messages to users who don't have PGP. If I understand correctly, it also supports much longer key sizes than the conventional version, up to 8192 bits. I can't say if it's compatible with XP as I run 98.
There's a rather interesting and controversial story behind the CKT versions, the accuracy of which I can't verify, but I do trust the source that relayed it to me. According to this story, the official PGP release was found to have a backdoor, which the CKT discovered and removed. While I have no way of verifying this, the efforts made by some programs writers to make their software incompatible with these versions, coupled with the fact that most sites dealing with these versions went down after the 9/11 attacks leads me to think it may be true. No, I don't wish to debate this issue, before it even comes up.
Aside from this, I've found 6.5.8ckt08 to be excellent software. If it runs on XP like it does 98, it would be my version of choice. It works quite well with Mozilla mail handlers, OE, and other programs. It also works with the webmail sites I use.
Rick

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: